A few days ago, I had the wonderful surprise of being given the Creative Blogger Award by Inspired and Pretty! It was certainly not something I was expecting, but it really made my day to know that someone as creative and talented as Jocelyne (Inspired and Pretty) enjoys my blog enough to give it this award. She is a great photographer and her blog posts are always so interesting and upbeat. I love going to her blog because it always makes me smile.
Ok, so I think I’m supposed to write ten things about myself now. Hm…what to say?
1. I can never decide on a favorite color. I have to wonder if those reading this are now glancing up at the blog title – the Cozy Red – and assuming that red is my favorite color. I do like red, in fact, I’m wearing red right now. Even so, that doesn’t mean it’s my favorite color. I love earth tones, greens, blues, mellow shades of yellow (sparingly!), and deep reds. My studio walls are painted black, which may seem grim and dark, but I find it so soothing to be in my cozy studio. I’ve softened the cold, strong wall color with warm accents. It has a honey colored hardwood floor, a sandstone colored ceiling, and red accents, like my comfortable chair and the rug.
2. I can’t really decide on a favorite food, either. I love pizza, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, any pasta, really, and chicken, among a few dozen other foods. Then of course, I always love ice cream too, but does that count as a food?
3. Finding a scrappy piece of junk to use as part of a sculpture or some sort of decor is usually much more exciting to me than buying something new in a store. What can I say? I love old stuff! The character that old, beat up, rusty things have cannot be compared to something fresh and new.
4. I take my camera for walks. You’d think my camera was my dog. If I step outside to get the mail or do anything else, I almost always have my camera hanging on my neck. After all, historically, I just know that if I should leave it in the house when I go out, something amazing will happen. I’ll see a bear, or a very unique bird, or a stick shaped like the Titanic or something. Better safe than sorry!
5. My personal motto is “It is what it is”. It just says it all.
6. My days are not complete without music. I love movie scores the most, though I always enjoy old blues, jazz, big band, ragtime, and the like. But if I’m writing, movie scores help to draw out all the emotions and help me to put them down on paper. It’s a wonderful tool. I especially like work by Hans Zimmer, James Horner, James Newton Howard, and many others. How I love music! 🙂
7. I have four different novels/novellas in the works right now. Of course, my first one, which I began to write at around 16 years old, has been basically laid to rest as it was somewhat of a rough draft. My most recent, written for the fabulous NaNoWriMo (check out NaNoWriMo if you love to write), is nearing completion. I probably shouldn’t have said that; anytime I say a story is almost done, I find some huge new problem within the story to fix. Hopefully this one will be finished soon!
8. (This naming ten things about myself is harder than I thought…) 08 is my very favorite number. No reason whatsoever, it just is. It has been for years. Who knows why?
9. I’m a moderator for the Southwestern/Western Art forum over at WetCanvas. (Check out WetCanvas if you are an artist or just love art. It a tremendous website full of the most wonderful and down-to-earth people you can imagine.)
10. One of my favorite things to do is wander slowly through pet stores and admire all of the creatures there. While the puppies melt my heart, and the kittens always make me smile, I love looking at all the reptiles. Having a ball python and a bearded dragon, I have a big heart for these cold-blooded creatures. Then of course the ferrets! I have wanted a ferret (or two) for a long time. Maybe someday. I just love animals. I always have. When I was little, I would go outside on rainy days and rescue the worms on the driveway so they wouldn’t dry out. It was an endless job! 😉
Here are a few blogs that I feel deserve this award.
Zorgor A very fun, lighthearted blog. Zorgor does abstract paintings, and he has a knack for it. The rich colors in his work draw me in every time. On top of his lively artwork, his posts are interesting and entertaining. I love exploring his blog.
Katiescamerablog Katie’s blog is all about her amazing photography. She does all sorts of work from pet portraits to flowers to abstracts and many other subjects as well. I find it so fun to check into her blog and see what she’s found with her camera. It’s an inspiring blog to visit.
picsofthen This blog is all about old photos. It is so fun to look at the family portraits of days gone by. The photos are wonderful, and the information the blogger offers on each one is enlightening and enjoyable. It’s a great blog!
justblocked While knitting is something I do not do, I always love visiting this blog. Jana has such a great deal of talent, and the things she does with yarn leave me truly amazed. She has such creativity and it is so inspiring to see the way she thinks outside the box and makes all kinds of beautiful things. Her photos are beautiful, as well.
Check out these blogs. They are all so great! 🙂
Thanks again, Jocelyne, for giving me this great award! I really appreciate it.